Book Soup presents acclaimed Oscar nominated filmmaker Alfonso Cuarón signing Roma
"There is something about Roma—it produces a reverberation, it lingers inside you, way after the movie has ended." - Valeria Luiselli
Acclaimed Mexican filmmaker Alfonso Cuarón’s most recent project, Roma, is a semi-autobiographical film focusing on a domestic worker for a middle-class family in Mexico City in the 1970s. A visual meditation, a soundscape of the oldest city in the Americas, Roma captures an intimate, unique time and space, where women provided the glue that kept the world together, yet were always invisible and inaudible. A mirror of the city it portrays, Roma is an emotional earthquake, a world about to shatter, held together by the equilibrium, tenderness, and strength of one woman, the beating heart of the story. (Assouline)
Director, screenwriter, cinematographer, and editor Alfonso Cuarón studied philosophy and filmmaking at the National Autonomous University of Mexico. His feature-length directorial debut in 1991, Solo con tu pareja, was a hit in Mexico and bright him to the attention of Hollywood. Having been nominated several times, he won the Academy Award in 2014 for Gravity, the first Mexican director to do so. In 2014, TIME magazine named him in its list of 100 Most Influential People.
* Tickets now available at Eventbrite, include one copy of Roma and serves as one signing line ticket.
* We will form a line and check people in outside of the store at 9am when we open. Please do not line up before then.
* The first 50 ticket holders will be brought inside shortly before 11am for a talk with Alfonso Cuarón. Standing room only.
* The remaining line will be brought in following the talk for the book signing only.
* Alfonso Cuarón will sign copies of Roma only. No memorabilia.
* We will not be accepting online orders for this event. Anyone who purchases a ticket to this event must be in attendance to get their copy signed. If a ticket holder is unable to attend an unsigned copy will be held for pick up after the event.
If you have questions or need more information, please see our website www.booksoup.com or call the store directly at (310) 659-3110.