An honest, witty, and insightful memoir about what happens when your coming-of-age comes later than expected
"Thanks for Waiting is the loving, wise, cuttingly funny older sister we all need in book form."--Tara Schuster, author of Buy Yourself the F*cking Lilies
Doree Shafrir spent much of her twenties and thirties feeling out of sync with her peers. She was an intern at twenty-nine and met her husband on Tinder in her late thirties, after many of her friends had already gotten married, started families, and entered couples' counseling. After a long fertility struggle, she became a first-time mom at forty-one, joining Mommy & Me classes where most of the other moms were at least ten years younger. And while she was one of Gawker's early hires and one of the first editors at BuzzFeed, she didn't find professional fulfillment until she co-launched the successful self-care podcast Forever35--at forty.
Now, in her debut memoir, Shafrir explores the enormous pressures we feel, especially as women, to hit particular milestones at certain times and how we can redefine what it means to be a late bloomer. She writes about everything from dating to infertility, to how friendships evolve as you get older, to why being pregnant at forty-one is unexpectedly freeing--all with the goal of appreciating the lives we've lived so far and the lives we still hope to live.
Thanks for Waiting is about how achieving the milestones you thought were so important don't always happen on the time line you imagined. In a world of 30 Under 30 lists, this book is a welcome reminder that it's okay to live life at your own speed.
- Place your order by Friday, December 3, 2021 for Holiday shipping.
- Please allow 2-4 weeks for international orders.
- If you would like your book personalized to yourself or someone else, please indicate to whom in the comments field of your order. Orders without a name will ship with the author signature only.
- Orders with additional items are held and shipped together when the last item on the order is available.
- Thank you for your support of Doree Shafrir and a local independent bookseller!