Punching Bag is the compelling true story of a high school career defined by poverty and punctuated by outbreaks of domestic abuse. Rex Ogle, who brilliantly mapped his experience of hunger in Free Lunch, here describes his struggle to survive; reflects on his complex, often paradoxical relationship with his passionate, fierce mother; and charts the trajectory of his stepdad's anger. Hovering over Rex's story is the talismanic presence of his unborn baby sister.
Through it all, Rex threads moments of grace and humor that act as beacons of light in the darkness. Compulsively readable, beautifully crafted, and authentically told, Punching Bag is a remarkable memoir about one teenager's cycle of violence, blame, and attempts to forgive his parents--and himself.
- Signed books will ship on Tuesday, October 5, 2021 when the book goes on sale, and by arrangement with the author for signing.
- Please allow 2-4 weeks for international orders.
- If you would like your book personalized to yourself or someone else, please indicate to whom in the comments field of your order. Names only, no messages please. Orders without a name will ship with the author signature only.
- Orders with additional items are held and shipped together when the last item on the order is available.
- Thank you for your support of Rex Ogle and your local independent bookseller!